Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Growing Irises Out East: Celebrating Mother's Day

 By Heather Haley

My mother Alleah Haley enjoying iris 'Saturday Night Live' in bloom
at Winterberry Gardens during Mother's Day Weekend 2023

My mother, Alleah, and I find ourselves celebrating Mother’s Day on a road trip. We are returning from Winchester, Virginia, to North Carolina after spending this weekend with about 50 other members of the American Iris Society: our “iris family.” Last month, all three of Alleah’s daughters, one son-in-law, and additional iris family members enjoyed “iris Christmas” together during the 2023 AIS national convention in Dallas, Texas. 

Alleah and her children at the
2023 AIS National Convention in Dallas, Texas

Today Alleah and I are subject to preferences of the navigation system inside her car. It did not select the highly scenic, meandering route known as the Blue Ridge Parkway. Instead, we are traveling the path of greatest efficiency. Listening to Alleah, you wouldn’t know the difference. She is soaking in the scenery all the same.

Many of the gently curved roads Alleah and I traveled looked like this. Maintenance crews
frequently use special boom-mounted tractor implements to ensure good visibility around curves
.

National Park Service Photo, Public Domain 

During our drive, Alleah often exclaimed how beautiful her surroundings were. You see, Alleah loves all things living and green: including but not limited to trees, grass, ferns, and irises. Irises with rhizomes are, of course, her favorite… and she is easy to please. A sizeable clump of tall red bearded iris caught her eye, but it passed too quickly for me to get a good look. She recognized the form as historic, and we quickly chatted about possibilities etched in our memory. I ask, “Do you think it was ‘Indian Chief’?” My mother responded, “No. It was a self (pattern).” We know the proper procedure for identifying an unknown iris but enjoy conversing to pass the time.

Historic bearded iris 'Indian Chief' displays a bitone pattern.
The veined maroon standards are much lighter than the falls.
 

My mother fancies any interesting combination of roots, trunk, stems, leaves, or petals. Immediately after iris activities of our weekend ended, Alleah insisted on finding a garden center for us to patronize. While visiting the Spring Valley Farm Market, she fancied a 4 in. pot containing pink petunia, purple veining, and a lime green edge. I found a hanging basket with the same and decided she needed that instead. 
Alleah and I used a seatbelt to secure her new hanging basket for the drive home.

With Alleah's Mother's Day basket now riding in the back seat, we decided to stop for some antiquing. In 2011, I found a glass vase labeled "Iris and Herringbone" in an antique store and kept it in our guest bathroom until sending it to Alleah for Christmas. My husband Chris grew fond of it, and suggested we hunt for a vase of our own. The flowers look more like lilies, but we don't mind this too much. Artist rendition aside, I still like the name. Many antique stores, auctions, and festivals later, I am pleased to report the iris and herringbone collection is ALMOST complete. Mom and I found a coaster for my collection just up the road from where we bought the hanging basket. HORRAY!

Heather's Iris and Herringbone depression glass collection in 2014
.
Iris and Herringbone coaster purchased with Alleah on Mother's Day 2023

The August 2023 issue of the Region 4 Newscast will describe the iris gardens Alleah and I saw during the spring regional meeting. For now, enjoy some pictures, and I hope you found unique ways to enjoy and celebrate Mother's Day too.
Award-winning iris show entries on the Queen's Table at the 2023 Region 4 Meeting

Siberian iris 'Cesar's Brother' in bloom at the
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in Winchester, Virginia

Cat greeting visitors at Iris Hills Farm in Middletown, Virginia

Irises in raised beds at Winterberry Gardens in Cross Junction, Virginia

Tall bearded irises 'That's All Folks', 'Queen's Circle', and 'Absolute Treasure'
at Meagher Gardens in Middleburg, Virginia

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I enjoyed reading about your adventures! Thank you for sharing this. It reminds me of the many day trips with my own mother. I sure miss those times with her!

    ReplyDelete