Monday, April 10, 2023

Beginner’s Corner: Container Gardening – Part 1, Containers

 by Doug Chyz

Did you come back from your local iris sale with more irises than you have room for in your garden or are you a container gardener already? Are you looking for a temporary home for your irises until you get beds prepared, or would you like to have a few larger containers filled with irises as specimen plantings anchoring walkways or patios? No matter the reason, growing irises in containers is easy. The following are some tips, tricks, and traps for growing irises in containers.

First, you need to consider what the size of your containers will be. You may have locations that allow for very large containers, or you may be restricted by space or even funding. Large decorative containers can be expensive and then you need to add soil to them which is another expense. Speaking from experience, I know that irises can be grown in containers from one gallon in size to very large ones so do not be afraid of using smaller ones especially if you are using them for temporary homes.

A large container makes a great statement

Although I have successfully used one-gallon nursery pots, my preferred size for temporary homes are three-gallon nursery pots. They provide space for the irises to increase and will allow irises to bloom over a two-to-three-year period if you want to keep them in the containers that long. Realize that nursery pots have drain holes and they will need routine watering – read daily during the summer. If you provide a basin under the pots that will hold some water the irises will thank you, but they will still need daily watering during the summer.

You can enjoy irises in containers

I currently live in South Carolina near the coast and do not have to worry much about winter weather. Before moving here, I lived in Virginia with snow, ice, and freezing weather during the winter. My potted irises remained outside all year round. They did fine, but if you live in an even colder climate area you may consider locating the pots in an area where you can mulch around them. You do not have to worry about them being covered with snow; but if you are having a long dry spell during the winter, you should water them. Also, if you had basins under the pots, you should probably remove them for the winter.

Don’t overlook the opportunity to use a large container if you have a place for one or more. I have used them with one variety of iris with several rhizomes to get a nice potted clump effect, and I have used them for several different varieties to include smaller dwarf irises along the outer edges and taller iris or irises in the center. And consider various types: Siberian, Louisiana, or Japanese would make great choices and for those of you who can grow Pacific Coast Natives, larger pots would make great showcases for them.

In Part 2, I will talk about soil for containers, so come back again.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t know that you could keep Japanese happy in containers, with their love of moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved from Colorado to Casa grande Arizona. I brought as many irises with me as I could, still not sure how to take care of them. Do I cut them back in the fall or just let them grow I have tried both ways last year I had four bloom. so far this year I have had eight bloom. I have had some of them in pots, but they never bloom so we just built a new flower bed for me to put them into. How do you get them to bloom in pots, that would be great to know .

    ReplyDelete