Saturday, September 1, 2012

Favorite Iris Photos of 2012

By Mike Unser

One of my favorite things about growing irises is using them as photographic subjects. The way light plays thru the blossoms as the sun traverses the sky is just magical. I am constantly fascinated with the way the colors can change with the light and the angle the blooms are viewed from - like an ever-changing kaleidoscope. Here are a few of my favorite photos from 2012. Hope you enjoy them. Click on the photos to embiggen.

'Black And Gold' (Kleinsorge, 1943)


'Bryce Canyon' (Kleinsorge, 1944)


'Chiffon Pink' (DeForest, 1945)


'France Kent' (DeForest, 1948)


'Half Magic' (Farmer, 1983)


Irises with foxglove.


Miss Gracie in the iris garden.


Dwarf yellow amoena.


I've found the secret to taking great photos is to take alot of photos so you can get used to how the light and angles work in different settings. For every good one I keep there's 10 that were discarded. Over time the number has gotten lower as I've become more proficient. Why not share your favorite iris photos with us on Facebook?

1 comment:

  1. They are all beautiful. I like the irises with foxgloves- that color in the iris just glows!

    ReplyDelete