Not all good results come from planning. Sometimes, they are just gifts. But in either case, we should be grateful.
Looking around among my seedlings, I find instances of both, sometimes in combination.
When I first saw 'Lumalite' (J. T. Aitken, R. 1995) at an iris show, I was so taken by its glowing appearance that, with the exhibitor's permission, I took it outside into the daylight to see if the effect lasted.
I confess that I had no plan at this point -- just curiosity to see what the glowing effect of one combined with the curious color composition of the other would produce. What I got was a gift: 'Elfin Sentinel'.
I was delighted with the flower and registered it, but it had a shortcoming (literally) that caused me not to introduce it: The bloom barely topped its foliage. Looking at its brilliant colors and clear patterning, however, I wondered what a back-cross to its parent 'Lumalite' would bring. For one thing, I wondered if the slight blotchiness of 'Lumalite''s falls could be erased. And it worked! The new seedling retained 'Lumalite''s glowing heart, cleaned up the falls almost entirely, and added ruffles. I introduced it as 'Bright Sprite'.
'Tis said that ignorance is bliss. I can attest to that. At a meeting of one of our iris societies several years ago, two good long-time hybridizers of my acquaintance were discussing the rebloomer 'Best Bet' (Schreiner's 1988) and the difficulty of keeping it alive (at least, in our area). Both agreed that they would never use it in hybridizing, because of that fault. I said nothing, since I already had a cross from 'Best Bet' that hadn't yet bloomed. When it did bloom, it was a perky, hardy little border bearded amoena that, because of its colors and its parent's unhappy reputation, I registered as 'Against the Tide'.